|Dunne wrote silly witty sayings and life quotes. He understood reality, folly and their intersection.|
16 Quotes From
Finley Peter Dunne
- A fanatic is a man that does what he thinks the Lord would do if He knew the facts of the case.
- A lie with a purpose is one of the worst kind, and the most profitable.
- A man's idea in a game of cards is war, cruel, devastating, and pitiless. A lady's idea of it is a combination of larceny, embezzlement and burglary.
- Alcohol is necessary for a man so that he can have a good opinion of himself, undisturbed by the facts.
- Comfort the afflicted, and afflict the comfortable.
- Don't jump on a man unless he is down.
- It don't make much difference what you study, so long as you don't like it.
- Most vegetarians look so much like the food they eat that they can be classified as cannibals.
- One of the strangest things about life is that the poor, who need the money the most, are the ones that never have it.
- The only good husbands stay bachelors: They're too considerate to get married.
- The past always looks better than it was. It's only pleasant because it isn't here.
- The world is not growing worse and it is not growing better - it is just turning around as usual.
- There ain't any news in being good. You might write the doings of all the convents of the world on the back of a postage stamp, and have room to spare.
- There are no friends at cards or world politics.
- Trust everybody, but cut the cards.
- Vice is a creature of such hideous mien... that the more you see it the better you like it.
Return to Quotes from Silly Witty Sayings: Finley Peter Dunne